Pediatric Endocrinology Expert Forum
advanced bone age
About This Forum:

Questions in the Pediatric Endocrinology forum are answered by Dr. Deanna L Aftab Guy. Topics covered include adrenal problems, diabetes insipidus, menstrual irregularities, obesity, parathyroid abnormalities, pituitary abnormalities, puberty concerns, rapid growth, rickets and bone disease, short stature, and thyroid.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

advanced bone age

My son is 10 years old and has fallen from the 50th percentile for height to the 20th percentile in the last few years.  I was concerned so the pediatrician did a bone xray expecting it to be delayed.  The xray showed a bone age of 11.  For his bone age, he would only be in the 5th percentile!  We went to a ped. endo. and the initial blood tests (thyroid, IgF-1,celiacs) were within normal.  The Dr. thought he is probably a late bloomer.  From what I have read, late bloomers have delayed bone age, not advanced, so I am not sold on this.  He does not yet have signs of puberty.  He has not had the GH stim test yet.  What would cause his bone age to advance if he is not yet in puberty?  He is not heavy.  If he has ISS and a normal growth hormone test, would growth hormone therapy still help?  What other tests should I have done?