Pediatric Endocrinology Expert Forum
earley adrenal

Questions in the Pediatric Endocrinology forum are answered by Dr. Deanna L Aftab Guy. Topics covered include adrenal problems, diabetes insipidus, menstrual irregularities, obesity, parathyroid abnormalities, pituitary abnormalities, puberty concerns, rapid growth, rickets and bone disease, short stature, and thyroid.

earley adrenal

Hi, when my mixed race grandaughter was born, she was very hairy.  Most of the hair disapeared but she was left with some hair on her private parts and slight hair under her arms.  I never discussed this with my Daughter and just seen my Grandaughter as perfect. Most of the hair has gone but she still has some.  On a resent visit to the hospital for constippation the doctor noticed the hair and wanted her to see a doctor. she didnt say much to us but when the letter arrived it mentioned early adrenanche. I have since looked this up on the internet and came up with everything that could caurse this.  She has a normal growth patern.  Is it possible for her just to have this hair and not have early adrenache as her Grandmother on her fathers side said they all had it. I for got to mention she is one and a half years old. please let me know.  ALso do you think on her first app she will have hormoan levels checked and will that involve a blood test. Thankyou.
I am not sure how old she is but this is premature adrenarche, the early production of the male hormones from the adrenal glands, when they are produced early or in excess it is important to rule out abnormal reasons. One important cause that is rare and often screened for at birth is congenital adrenal hyperplasia, this is a block in the enzymes that the adrenal glands make and there is a build up of the male hormones that then cause the hair to become coarse and curly in the pubic and axillary area and cute baby sweat to change to  body odor. There is a nonclassical kind that may not show till later after birth due to an incomplete block, this needs to be ruled out, if all is well and there is just an early blip of these normally occuring hormones then they can monitor her closely to be sure that things do not advance to stimulate the pituitary to trigger the female hormones associated with early puberty as we know it.
Bloodwork is needed usually at the first visit, this does indeed happen naturally earlier in our African American, Latin American, and Middle Eastern patients, also strangely enough I have found alot of families with Scottish and Irish decent to have an increased tendency, although not all of course.
Feel reassured that if labs are normal and she is followed she should be fine

,