Pediatric Endocrinology Expert Forum
help
About This Forum:

Questions in the Pediatric Endocrinology forum are answered by Dr. Deanna L Aftab Guy. Topics covered include adrenal problems, diabetes insipidus, menstrual irregularities, obesity, parathyroid abnormalities, pituitary abnormalities, puberty concerns, rapid growth, rickets and bone disease, short stature, and thyroid.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

help

I have a 15yr old whom at age 14 started experiencing severe mood changes, depression, cutting on himself, failing in school and a large weight gain (130 lb increase in less than a year).  He is finally doing  better, he was diagnosed with bi-polar.  I am not too sure that I agree with this but since he is doing better than we will go with it.  He is on prozac, trileptal and concerta(dx at age 10 with AD/HD-he was on 60mg of adderal until this year).  I am extremely concerned with the weight gain.  He went to an endocrinologist whom recommended a dietation.  The only thing he checked was the cholesteral and the urine for cushings(at my request).  My son went from 170 to 300 lbs in a year.  The dr does not feel he has cushings because his stretch marks are not wide enough and because it is very rare.  I have two rare autoimmune diseases so I know that anything is possible.  I also have a sister whom at age 12/13 went through a 75 lb increase in a short time and a complete personality change.  Even though there is 9yrs between them their behavioral changes and weight gain is very similar.  I really feel there is something that everyone is missing, can you offer any suggestions on something that the doctors may be missing