Pediatric Endocrinology Expert Forum
high IGF-1 in teenager
About This Forum:

Questions in the Pediatric Endocrinology forum are answered by Dr. Deanna L Aftab Guy. Topics covered include adrenal problems, diabetes insipidus, menstrual irregularities, obesity, parathyroid abnormalities, pituitary abnormalities, puberty concerns, rapid growth, rickets and bone disease, short stature, and thyroid.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

high IGF-1 in teenager

Hello,

My daughter went to the endocrinologist because we had some questions about hormones and growth. She is 15 years old and 11 months. Weights 130 pounds and is 5 ft. 9.in. She has had some ongoing menstrual irregularities, acne and some hair on her abdomen and stomach. She had a basal HGH value of 4.65 ng/ml and an IGF-1 of 726 ng/ml which was considered elevated according to the lab provided reference range of 15-25 year olds at 116-358 ng/ml. The endocrinologist wanted to do at MRI to rule out acromegaly. She was not entirely convinced of her decision,though, and was not sure how to interpret the IGF-1 level. My daughter has basically gone through a somewhat normal puberty and although she is tall she seems to have slowed down growing, only a couple of inches in  the past two years. If she had  excess growth hormone,wouldn't she have grown a lot more in the last two years? What does the high IGF-1 mean in a teenager and is it common? Should we have an OGTT done? Any advice  would be helpful. Thank you very much.
Sally