hypoplastic left heart syndrome
Do you think it is safe for a 13 year old boy to participate in horseback riding with the  hypoplastic left heart syndrome  condition?
Dear Ttfarms,

Without evaluating your son, I cannot say if it is safe for him to ride horseback.  I do not know his anatomy, saturation, or exercise tolerance at this point, nor do I know his neurologic status, nor do I know what kind of riding he will be doing.  For the most common type of patient with HLHS who has had a Fontan, has had no significant complications, has had reasonable exercise testing, and has had no activity-associated arrhythmias or evidence of congestive heart failure, horseback riding is probably fine.  It does take a lot of physical strength and stamina to ride.  I would recommend discussing this with his pediatric cardiologist who knows him best.