Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
15 month old son has enlarged left ventricle?

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

My 15 month old son was being tested for epilepsy, when they did an ekg after his ambulartory eeg was done. They called us and told us that the pediatric cardiologist was going to contact us for appointment because he has an enlargement of the left ventricle. What is this, what can cause this, what are symptoms? He was having seizure episodes, afterwards he would turn blue, and go unconscious, where it takes rescue breaths to get him to come back to us. All of this started literally just before he turned 1yr old. I would just like some information on what i need to be prepared for, i have fought embryonic Rhabdomysarcoma with my 13yr old son when he was barely two, so i am just wondering what we will endure during this with my 15 month old son
Dear Apavo,

First off, I want to say that just because the initial evaluation of an ECG says that there is left ventricular enlargement or hypertrophy doesn't necessarily mean it is so.  ECG's typically overcall this feature, unfortunately.  However, with your son's history, there may be a potential for abnormal cardiac involvement.  Considering that he is requiring rescue breaths to bring him back, I do feel that it may be important to ensure that there is not a cardiac etiology of his spells.  I cannot say what you will be dealing with, but do believe that he should be seen by a pediatric cardiologist for further evaluation for this.  There are abnormalities of the heart muscle as well as the cardiac electrical system that can do this, so it is appropriate that he has been referred.