Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
15year old son has sever symptoms when exercisingBP161/61HR119IRREG

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

{SON}Last YR he was trying for 9Th gr football.first day 3-2-11doing strength and conditioning training.after he looked sick.When he & Friend got in the truck.I asked him if he was OK?He said' Mom I'm real sick I'm going to throw up.His pupils where dialated& under his eyes where black.I noticed his finger nails up to knuckles was purple.got home he vomited 3 times & went to bed.football practice3/3/11.again he was sick with all the same symptoms.March 4. I thought he was going to die very lathargic coloring aweful said he was so sick.I handed him a water.As I handed him water he couldn't hold the water fell to the floor.I noticed his fingernails{his nail beds where the color of a newborn baby right after birth}.He couldn't talk.he also had white around his mouth,under eyes black,pupils dialated,immediatly went to sleep.I took him to a walk in clinic.The nurse put the o2 sensor on.the nurse told him "you need to take some deep breaths for me to get this oxygen up".his bp was elevated.They said he was most likely dehydrated.They drew blood they wouldn't know any thing for next day.THe next day Dr  called,his liver enzy lil high&calcium high.Primary Doc ordered a ECG.ECHO was abnorma.SEEN A PED CARDIO had another echo& abnormal for age.20 min Stress test was orderedHe was struggling@ 10 min.white around his mouth,pupils dialated@his hands where tirning blue.heart rate was 254 ox 86% stress test total 11min.30 minutes to get HR normal.Stress normal!.ECHO showed venous structure on top of heart likely a systemic vein..he has no energy at all he Symptoms are worse and more often..He said upon exertion,blurred vision,shortness breath,black out,tightness in chest,can't get air.PULM test NORM,drug test NORMAL.I"m not asking for a diagnosis just ideas what to do.He is very fit weight141 height5'11 15yr male.
Dear Lisa,

In reading your son's story, it is difficult for me to tell exactly what is going on with him.  As well, it is difficult for me to tell you what to do for him without knowing exactly what the diagnosis it.  At minimum, he needs to be drinking 32-48 ounces of fluid/day plus a salty snack to remain hydrated on a daily basis.  As well, he should not skip meals and should eliminate caffeine.  Beyond this, your pediatric cardiologist should be able to integrate the diagnostic findings with the treatment plan.  However, if you are not getting the answers that you need, you can always obtain a second opinion.