Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
1.7mm VSD in my unborn baby heart

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

1.7mm VSD in my unborn baby heart

Dear Sir

I went to ultrasound at 20 weeks, and doctor find that my son has hole in his heart that we call Membranous VSD = 1.7mm.  

So is this hole can become bigger with my unborn baby?
and can it heal or close by itself?
Is this size of VSD got big effect to him when he was born?
Fetal echocardiography can sometimes reveal holes between the lower heart chambers called ventricular septal defects (VSDs). The size of the hole at 20 weeks gestation is not going to be the size of the hole at birth.  It can go either way:  it can get smaller or close before birth, it can stay the same, (in which case a 1.7 mm defect would be considered a small hole), or it can get a bit larger.  Even after birth there is an excellent chance that VSDs of this type can get smaller spontaneously, or even close completely.  Your doctor may ask for another fetal echo when the baby is further along in the pregnancy, but if not, then an echocardiogram should be done within the first few weeks after birth to see if the VSD is still present and what size it is at the time. Depending upon that evaluation, your doctor can decide what type of follow up (if any) is required.
Dear Doctor

Thanks for your clear information,but i still wonder if it can be a bit larger it mean not 2 or 3 time larger than to 5mm like that, can u tell me about your pass experience, how larger can it be?

Thanks for your support