Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
2 and a half year old.. cyanosis etc

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

2 and a half year old.. cyanosis etc

hi there, my daughter suffers from centeral cyanosis .. around her mouth right up either side of her nose to under her eyes, also between her fingers and soles of her feet, her resps go up, she sometimes has low o2 88 to 90% and also has a slight murmur and she also has bouts of tachycardia,  shes being sent for a echogram, my question is can u get to 2 and a half years old and have a serious heart problem that wasnt picked up sooner?
the cyanosis was picked up when she was 6 weeks old, but its getting worse, shes blue proberly about 50% of the day
Tags: cyanosis
Dear Jodienz,

The definition of central cyanosis is to include cyanosis of the gums and tongue.  In your description, you do not mention this, so I wouldn’t necessarily label it as such.  However, everything else you are describing is actually rather concerning to me, so it sounds like she needs not just an echocardiogram but also a pediatric cardiology evaluation.  The combination of the decreased oxygen saturations and tachycardia could be several things.  It could be that she is having an abnormal arrhythmia.  It also could be that she has either an undiagnosed atrial septal defect, a hole between the upper chambers of her heart, or undiagnosed pulmonary atresia with ventricular septal defect, which is a complex cardiac defect.  Both of these defects can be associated with some aspect of cyanosis and can have a relatively balanced physiology with no gross heart murmur or other signs of heart disease (at least early on) that can later develop.