Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
3 month old 3.5mm vsd, very worried mummy

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

Hi there
My daughter is 4 months old. She was diagnosed with a 3.5mm muscular VSD at 3 months. We were told that as the defect is small it's unlikely to cause her any problems. However I can't stop myself feeling very worried about it. At her echo we were also told that it is putting a slight strain on her heart but nothing to be concerned about. Is it normal that a small defect would put a strain on the  heart? Is this likely to get worse or better as she grows? I think I just need someone to put into perspective the likelihood that this may cause her problems or need treatment because at the moment I'm worrying so much. I'm terrified that she may need surgery at some point. She has another echo in two months time. What is the likelihood we will see an improvement by then?
I appreciate you can't give me any definite answers but can you put my mind at rest at all? I should add she otherwise appears very healthy and is gaining weight fairly well.
Thank you
A 3.5 mm VSD is in the small range.  If the echo showed a 64 mmHg pressure drop that is very good.  It tells you that the right heart pressure is  normal (very important).  Such VSDs do not get bigger.  They stay the same or get smaller with time.  Even if the left heart chambers are a tad large currently there is no cause for alarm.  This is all likely to improve with time, and I strongly doubt any surgery would be needed.  As long as your baby is well, just follow the doctor's plan and it sounds like all will be well.
Just to add some extra details, I have had a report through and it states there is 'pure left to right shunt and a pressure drop of 64mmHg.... There was some mild left heart volume load.... The vsd has only mild haemodynamic bearing'. Please could you explain also what these things mean? Thank you
Thank you very much for your reply, that makes me feel a bit better about it all.