Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
3 year old son with sub-aortic membrane.

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

Hello!  I was wondering if a child can ever "outgrow" the problem of sub aortic membrane or stenosis?  My son was 18 months when diagnosed and he will be turning 4 this October.  Right now he only see his pediatric cardiologist once a year (we also live in the bush in Alaska so appointments are harder to make).  He is very healthy and active.  His cardiologist said that they wait to do surgery until the pressure builds up to a certain amount.  Is there any medicine that can help him avoid having surgery?  He has had one OHS already as an infant to repair some major defects.  I don't look forward to another one.  Any insight would be greatly appreciated!
Dear Sue,

Without knowing what other defects were repaired and without seeing him, I cannot tell what his risk is for needing another surgery.  I can tell you that the natural history of subaortic membranous stenosis is for it to remain the same or for it to progress.  You don't tell me whether the membrane was resected in the first surgery, or not, so I cannot discuss his risk here, either.  Unfortunately, there is no dietary regimen that is known to be able to change this.  For now, he will require continued outpatient cardiac follow-up, with the probable plan of resection of the membrane if the amount of obstruction gets too high or the aortic valve above it is damaged significantly from the turbulent jet of blood hitting it.