Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
3 year old with graves dieease

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

3 year old with graves dieease

Hi my daughter was diagnoeed with graves disease in january with a goiter, rapid heartbeat and swelling on left side of heart. Her levels are not stabilising constantly up and down. Her she has been on 30mg of cabimozale for 3 months now which has been increased from 15mg when diagnosed. She is on 15mg of propanalol also.  Can uou tell me if there is going to be any long term damage to her heart the longer who levels dont stabilise.  Also if she needs a thyroidectomy would it be safe due to her heart. A worried mam
Dear Honeypie,

Graves disease, which is an autoimmune inflamamtion of the thyroid that increases blood thyroid levels, can increase the heart rate as well as cause thickening of the valves of the heart.  However, the medications used to control the thyroid as well as the heart rate should be adequate to control these effects.  If untreated, it can cause problems for the heart.  Treatment should reduce these effects.  WIthout seeing your daughter, I cannot say what needs to be done specifically for her thyroid disease, and I am certainly not an endocrinologist.  However, it may be that if she fails medical therapy, she may need to have her thyroid gland ablated medically followed by thyroid replacement medication.  Your endocrinologist should be able to discuss with you if present therapy is enough, when regular medical therapy is felt to have failed, and what threshold is required to consider ablative thyroid therapy.