Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
3mm OSTIUM SECUNDUM ASD

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

3mm OSTIUM SECUNDUM ASD

My one month old son was suffering from 3mm OSTIUM SECUNDUM ASD. The consulted doctor said that it will get close automatically when the child grows, if it's not gets closed my son has to undergo for the surgery.

I read some of the articles posted by others regarding the VSD and ASD.

We are very much worried about that. Please let me know whether the surgery is required for my son. At present he is feeling difficulty to take the feed continuously.

Please find the details that are mentioned in Echocardiography.

Base to apex axis: Left
Visceral Status: Solitus
Relationship of abdominal aorta and AVC: Normal
Atrial Situs: Normal
Right Atrium: DILATED
Left Atrium: Normal
Ventricular Loop: D - Loop
Right Ventricle: DILATED
Left Ventricle: Normal
Atrio Ventricular: Normal
Atrio Ventricular Valve: Two
Mitral Valve: Normal
Tricuspid Valve: Normal
Great Arterial Relationship: Normal
Origin of Great Arteries: Normal
Aortic Valve: Normal
Pulmonary Valve: Normal
Aorta: Normal
Pulmonary Artery: Normal
Systemic Venous Drainage: Normal
IVS: Intact
IAS: 3mm Ostium Secundum ASD
Aorta - Mitral Continuity: +

Colour/Droppler Study:
L>R Shunt Across ASD
Plum.Vmax0.6m/sec
Ao.Vmax 1.0m/sec

Other Findings: Nil

Conclusion:
1. Congenitial (congenital) Heart Disease
2. 3mm OSTIUM SECUNDUM ASD
3. L<R SHUNT
4. NO E/O VSD / PDA/ COARCTATION
5. DILATED RA/RV
6. MILD TR/GR; 20mm Hg
7. GOOD L.V / R.V FUNCTION

Please let us know whether my son required surgery for this defect or it can be closed automatically.

A 3 mm opening in the wall between the upper heart chambers is normal in newborns and can take weeks, months or years to close.  A 3 mm opening is called a PATENT FORAMEN OVALE (PFO) and does not qualify to be called a secundum atrial septal defect,  It would be highly unusual for a 3 mm PFO to cause any enlargement of the right side of the heart.  So either the echocardiogram is being over-interpreted by an adult cardiologist, or there could be something else going on, like some of the pulmonary veins draining abnornally to the right side of the heart instead of the left side of the heart.  If your child ONLY has a 3 mm opening and all else with the heart is truly normal, then the need for future  surgical intervention would be exceedingly small.  So it all depends upon what symptoms your child has.  Make sure you are being consulted by a cardiologist who cares for children, not just adults.
Hi Marie,

Thank you so much for your reply. As you suggested we will consult the cardiologist who cares for the children.

Actually my wife and kid are in India and I came to South Africa for work. She is worrying a lot about my younger son.

Could you please share me your email id so that I can share the copy of the echo report to you. We can get the exact problem of my child and it's severity.