Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
3mm vsd

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

3mm vsd

my baby durwank is patient of vsd. how much time he will take to recover from this condition. he is now 2months old and his weigth is 6pounds today
Dear Durwank,

Without seeing your child, I don’t know for sure how long it will take.  Nor do you give me any information about him, such as how he is eating or doing clinically.  I also do not know where the VSD is in the heart, which would influence my answer.  However, a 3 mm VSD is typically considered a small defect, and, if he is doing well (that is, eating without getting out of breath or getting sweaty), it should spontaneously close by age 1 year.  There are some babies who do not close the defect and it remains open.  This does not typically cause any significant problems from a growth standpoint.  The one risk while the defect remains open is an infection of the heart called endocarditis.  Therefore, good oral hygiene is the most important assistance you can give to your son.