Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
4 week old with heart problems

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

4 week old with heart problems

My daughter will be 4 weeks old this week, she had SVT in utero and I took digoxin while pregnant and as soon as she was born she was placed on it.  We went to the cardiologist yesterday and they did an echo and told us that she has pulmonary artery stenosis, (not sever) but definately audible....she was also born with a very short perineum...my question is this....is that somesort of syndrom (syndrome) or condition that could be playing the part in the combination of these problems for her?...

I have double stranded MTHFR as well, didn't know if that could play a role in anything, that was diagnosed last year after we had a daughter that was stillborn
Mild pulmonary stenosis is a common mild congenital heart abnormality that is not usually associated with cardiac arrhythmias such as SVT.   In utero SVT is not uncommon, and generally has a good prognosis for resolution within the first year of life, as long as the electrocardiogram does not show evidence of pre-excitation (Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome). Your daughter's combined heart issues will both need to be watched over the first couple of years of life.  Many children outgrow their SVT, and some babies with mild flow gradients across the pulmonary valve as neonates can improve over time as well.  Less commonly more blockage develops across the pulmonary valve in the first year of life.  Your doctor is correct to keep the digoxin in use for some time (to be determined on an individual basis) after birth.  If the baby has any other unusual facial features, or demonstrates any delays in development, then you could consider a formal genetics evaluation, as pulmnary stenosis, although common in the genral population, can be seen more frequently in certain genetic conditions. Your MTHFR mutation is not related to any of these things.