Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
4mm subaortic vsd

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

4mm subaortic vsd
Hai sir, Iam 26yrs old, i have got 4mm subaortic vsd with left to right shunt. my cardiologist told me my cardiac function is normal arotic valve is normal and he told me i maynot requre eny surgical closure for this. i would like to get an opinion from you regarding this, thank u
A 4 mm ventricular septal defect (VSD) in an adult is usually considered to be a small defect.  Your cardiologist is correct in noting whether your heart function is normal, and whether there is any blockage or leakage of the aortic valve, as these things can sometimes occur with VSDs over time. As long as you are asymptomatic, and there is no concern that the pressure in your lungs is elevated (this can be determined by an electrocardiogram (ECG) and the echocardiogram pressure gradient across the VSD), then your cardiologist is correct that no indications for surgery exist.  Intermittent follow up with the cardiologist and observation of a healthy diet, good weight maintenance, regular exercise and refraining from smoking would be recommended.