Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
5 mm VSD

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

5 mm VSD

My daughter is 1.8 yrs old, she was deducted with 5 MM VSD  2 days after her birth.  she is growing well. Weight is 12 7KG, plays well, she runs aroumd the whole house.

Yesterdsay  I when to a doctor he check and told that still VSD is not closed.

My question is

How seroius is this

Shoud I require surgury

Will this clsoe its own.

What are the risk involved and when (age)

Doctor I  am eagerly waitng for your response.

Regards
Sunil Kumar
Dubai

Dear Suni Kumar,

The natural history of a ventricular septal defect (VSD) that size is for it to stay the same size or to get smaller.  Sometimes, they even close.  However, it sounds like your daughter's defect has not closed.  That said, it sounds as if she is growing well and is active, suggesting that the defect is small and not causing a problem.  Without seeing her, I cannot say if it will close, or not.  However, I can say that there are plenty of children who grow up and have small VSDs remain open--they do not cause problems.  The only time that it can cause a problem is if the VSD is just beneath the aortic valve, as a "perimembranous" VSD.  These can occasionally cause deformation of the aortic valve, causing them to prolapse or to leak.  Thus, these require continued observation to ensure that this is not progressing.