Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
5 year old son, complaining of chest pain

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

Hello There;
My son, who is 5.5 year old, has been complaining of chest pain in his left side. He says he feels in the playground and in the classroom. also noticed sometimes around his lips are discoloured when he does exercise( not blue but greyish). I asked him to take deeps breaths in, and I could see he was in pain in doing so. He is also quite tin, he weighs about 18kg. Do you think this is significant?
Thank you
Dear ND

There is very little information here for me to be able to tell you if this is significant or not.  If you had told me that he just had some chest pain that was worse with taking in deep breaths, I may be able to say that it’s likely benign.  However, I don’t know the characteristics of the pain or other information that I would need to truly be able to advise you.  Then, there’s this little bit of information about his gray appearance around his lips, which truly does not sound normal.  Therefore, my advice at this point would be that he be evaluated by a pediatric cardiologist to assess his history, examination, and electrocardiogram (ECG) to make sure that there is nothing else significant going on from a cardiac standpoint.  Certainly, a chest X-ray by your primary care doctor may be able to be accomplished sooner and may demonstrate if the heart size is enlarged, although getting a diagnosis will likely be dependent upon the pediatric cardiologist, especially if there are abnormal findings.