Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
5mm VSD in 33 weeks preterm baby

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

5mm VSD in 33 weeks preterm baby

my wife gave birth to triplet babies at 33 weeks. one of the baby was diagnosed with heart murmur. the doctors did a echo check. It was found that my baby was having a VSD of 5mm. the baby weighs 1.5 Kgs. now

The doctor asked us to take one more echo check after one month. also he advised that it normal in preterm babies and will close by itself.

i am really confused. i would like to know whether my baby is ok ?
Dear Sgiri,

A 5 mm ventricular septal defect (VSD) in a 33 week estimated gestational age, 1.5 kg infant, can act like a large defect.  This can lead to congestive heart failure, with the heart and lungs working much harder than they should in trying to deal with the extra blood recirculating through the defect.

Ventricular septal defects are not necessarily normal in preterm infants.  As well, a 5 mm defect may not close by itself if your child has heart failure symptoms, including getting out of breath or getting sweaty with feeds.  There are medications that we can use to try to help your child have fewer symptoms and try to grow in order to attempt to shrink the VSD.  However, it is possible that your baby may need surgery to close the defect if there are CHF symptoms that persist despite medical management.  If you are not getting the answers that you need from your cardiologist, you may need to consider a second opinion.