Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
7 year old w/ chest pain

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

7 year old w/ chest pain

My 7 year old daughter recently 4/27, starting complaing of chest pain. Yesterday 5/2 she seem to be in a little bit more pain the before. I have not taken her to her pediatrician only for the fact that I figured she might have strained her muscles while at a birthday party in the bouncer. The only cause for concern that I have is that I had a murmur when I was younger and I am not to sure if that is hereditary or not. Her doctors off is closed so should I take her to the E.R? All your help and advice is much appreciated.

Thank you for taking the time to read my question.
Dear 4buggaboos,

Without seeing your daughter, I cannot say what you should do immediately.  If she has severe chest pain, difficulty breathing, etc., she should go to the Emergency Department.  Otherwise, if she is well, she should be fine to wait.  The majority of chest pain in children is non-cardiac in nature.  Often it is musculoskeletal, although there are other reasons, as well.  Hopefully by now, you have had her seen at the primary care provider's office, so you should have more answers at this point.