Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
8 year old heart rate

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

8 year old heart rate

My 8 year old son has been complaining of his heart beating really fast. He says when he is tired it makes his hands numb, when he is standing it makes him dizzy, and when he is just sitting around it gives him headaches. I had him into the clinic today where the doc performed an ekg and xray. Nothing came back out of the ordinary. I am very concerned about him because in my area we dont seem to have a real caring clinic staff. My son told me that when it beats fast it feels like hes being thrown off a cliff and his heart is pounding out of his body really hard and that it hurts his chest. He is not on any adhd meds or any for that matter. He drinks no caffeine and is in no sports. Any ideas as to what I can have the doctor look for?
Dear HCross,

Without evaluating your son, I can't totally tell what's wrong.  However, the most common reason that we see in the clinic for the symptoms that you list is not drinking enough fluid.  For someone his age, he should be drinking about 32 ounces of fluid/day.  The second most common reason is that he may be having an arrhythmia, or an abnormal fast rhythm.  There are ambulatory heart rhythm monitors that you can obtain from a pediatric cardiologist if, by history and examination, the cardiologist feels that it is warranted.  You may want to obtain an evaluation from a pediatric cardiologist and, while waiting, try having him drink an appropriate amount of fluid and see if this resolves the symptoms.