Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
9mm VSD in newborn
About This Forum:

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

9mm VSD in newborn

My newborn son was just diagnosed with a 9mm VSD.  He does breath a bit hard and tires easily during feedings.  He is very strong and alert.  The appointment showed an enlarged heart due to the extra workload.  I believe the liver was palpable also.  There were good femoral pulses.  Oxygen saturation level was 96.  When we left the hospital he was 7.2 lbs and yesterday at the cardiologist was up to 9.7 lbs.  They put him on digoxin and lasik (sorry for spelling).  My questions are #1 - Is surgery going to be required?  #2 - if so, can they do the repair with a cath procedure?  I believe the VSD is near the top to mid section of the wall.  Thank you for your time.