Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
A 3 year old-nose bleading-HIgh Blood pressure-dyhadration

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

Hi my Daughter Daira Just turned 3 in June 7 2009...
on June 13 09 she has a nose bleeding -she has been bleeding from her nose since she was a year and 1/2 but it wasnt bad.(like a small drop) nothing to worry about.
but that day it was really bad..so i took her to ER and her Blood pressure was 146 and the doctor did a blood test on her and he found out that she was dyhadriated.before doing the blood test-the Dr also told me that it could be her weight she is" 65"( but she is told as well).or her kidney
Now she is drinking a lot gatore and water. less milk.
I bought a blood pressure monitor and her blood pressure goes up and down..131, 133 ,112, 128,135/78 ect..
i want to know whats the normal for her age.
Dear Melyenb,

We base the normal values for blood pressure based on age, gender, and height.  Although I don’t have her height, the highest normal systolic blood pressure (the upper number) for her age and gender is 106 mmHg.  Thus, all of those systolic blood pressures that you are reporting are abnormally elevated.  She should have an evaluation for the cause of her hypertension (high blood pressure).  The first thing, though, is to make sure that her blood pressure is truly that high.  She needs to have 3 different doctor visits where they take her blood pressure.  For an accurate blood pressure to be taken, she needs to sit in a chair with her feet on the floor and her back supported for 5 minutes.  Then, the blood pressure should be taken with an appropriate sized cuff for her arm.  It should also be a manual blood pressure cuff, not a machine.  If she still has elevated blood pressures after 3 different times, her doctor needs to do an initial evaluation of her.  This includes a good history and physical examination, as well as some blood and urine tests and a kidney ultrasound.  If her examination and her laboratory studies are normal, she will need to be treated with blood pressure medicines.  If something is not normal, then hopefully it can be fixed to try to lower her pressure.

There are lots of reasons for high blood pressure.  The most common reason is that there is something wrong with the kidneys.  Being overweight or obese can also cause hypertension.  The heart is the least likely reason, although your primary care provider needs to make sure that she doesn’t have coarctation of the aorta, an obstruction of the main artery that comes out of the heart.  Being dehydrated is not a cause for hypertension, however; in fact, it can cause low blood pressure.