Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
A Heart Flutter

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

A Heart Flutter

Thank you for taking your time to read this post. I am a 15 year old male. As of the night of Aug. 9, 2012 my heart started fluttering. I had had football practice two days before where my pantes were soaked in sweat. It is helpful to keep in mind that I do not play. I am a video expert, and head manager. I do some running, but mostly walking. I also live in south Alabama where it is very hot and humid. On Tuesday I went to practice, and I went on Thursday. My heart started futtering around 8:45 p.m. Thursday night. My dad being a supervior at a local power plant said that this has happened to him. he was told by his brother and his wife which are nurses to drink Gatoraide. He said this helped him, and it was just dehydration. I drank a large Gatoraide and then I went to bed. When I woke up this morning on August 10, 2012 my heart is still fluttering. Is this more than dehydration? Should I be worried?
Dear Jackson,

Without evaluating you, I cannot say what is happening with you.  If you are having medical problems, you need to be seen by, at minimum, your primary care provider.  If they feel that you are having a cardiac problem, you can be referred to a pediatric cardiologist.

I will say that you should be drinking 32 to 48 ounces of fluid on a daily basis plus having salty snacks, not skipping meals, and avoiding caffeine.  If you are then involved in physical activity outside in the heat and humidity, you should be drinking an addition 30 to 50 ounces of fluid PER HOUR that you are outside and exerting yourself.  However, I cannot say if dehydration is the cause of your problem at this point.