Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
ASD - OS Type
About This Forum:

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

ASD - OS Type

My daughter was born on August 2010. She have the following problem form born.
           Congenital Heart Disease.
           ASD-OS Type (10 mm)
           Left to Right shunt Across ASD (2:1)
           No pulmonary Hypertension
           Normal LV function

Now she is 1 year and 7 month baby. But her weight is only 6.5 kg. Her birth weight is 2.5 kg. Very slow improvement of her growth. She is affected by cold frequently. But her activities, mentally her thoughts are very good. I want to know about the details about the problem and treatments for her. please give me a solution.

Related Discussions
773637_tn?1327450515
Dear Shri,

An ostium secundum atrial septal defect (ASD) is a defect between the upper two chambers of the heart.  It typically does not cause overt congestive heart failure, in which the heart is not able to meet the body's needs, leading to poor growth (which is unlike defects such as ventricular septal defects, atrioventricular canals, and patent ductus arteriosus).  However, it can cause some decreased energy and exercise tolerance as compared to normal children of the same age.  It can also be a factor in recurrent pneumonias.

Without seeing your daughter, I cannot say for sure what the cause of her poor growth is.  I would recommend that she be evaluated by her primary care provider and her pediatric cardiologist to ensure that there is not another reason for her poor growth, such as a genetic, infectious, nutritional, gastrointestinal, or other source.  Usually, large atrial septal defects are not electively closed until age 3-5 years, unless there is something else going on with the heart.  They can be closed by surgery OR by placement of a device in the defect through a catheter.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
773637_tn?1327450515
Jeffrey R Boris, M.D.Blank
The Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia
Philadelphia, PA
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker