Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
ASD, VSD, & PDA
About This Forum:

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

ASD, VSD, & PDA

My baby boy of 3 months has 1 each, asd, vsd, and pda. asd and vsd are small and pda is 1 mm. what are chances of these defercts healing by themselves?? my wife breast feeds so is there any foods she should avoid?? any answers would be greatly appreciated
Tags: ASD, VSD, PDA
Related Discussions
773637_tn?1327450515
Dear Nicky,

Without seeing your son myself, I cannot say for sure what the likelihood of spontaneous resolution of these defects is.  However, if these are considered by your pediatric cardiologist to be small defects, and the PDA is 1 mm, the likelihood of spontaneous closure of all of these defects is excellent.  That said, if they are small, they are also what we call, “hemodynamically insignificant,” which means that they should not cause any problems with growth, development, or exercise.

In regards to your wife’s intake, there are no restrictions on her food intake from a cardiac standpoint with regards to your son’s heart.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank