Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
ASD 3mm and VSD 4 mm

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

ASD 3mm and VSD 4 mm

My nephew was born 3 weeks ago with ASD of 3mm and VSD of 4 mm along with cleft palate. He is also having chest infections and is still in hospital. Doctors have told us that the holes will close by itself and will not require any treatment. baby was born full term and his weight was 3.5 kg on birth. I would like to know what are the chances of closing the defects of these sizes?
Dear Milly,

Without evaluating your nephew, I cannot say what the specific chances of spontaneous closure of the defects are.  For defects of those sizes, changes are good that they will at least become smaller, if not totally close, and that's really what's important.  It is desirable to have them be small enough to restrict the blood flow going across the defects.  Considering the combination of cardiac defects and cleft palate, it would be also appropriate to ensure that certain chromosomal defects are ruled out, including 22q11 deletion (DiGeorge Syndrome).