Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
ASD,PFO,PDA and Mild tricuspid regurigitation

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

Dear Dr.Jaffery,

Reference to my question posted yesterday with subject "ASD,PFO,PDA and Mild tricuspid regurigitation" can you please clarify one confusion that I have, that is if patent foramen ovale (sized at 3.2 mm in report) may be one of the fenestrations in the atrial septum, does that mean the second fenestration i.e. ASD (hole) would be approximately 1.8 mm? (Since the total area of two fenestrations in interatrial septum is 5 mm according to the report)

Many thanks for your answer yesterday, it has provided me a great releif.
Dear Wasim,

Your question is a good one.  Without seeing the actual images, it is difficult to say if what you are asking is correct.  It is possible that the defects can be additive, although the foramen ovale orifice can actually be hard to assess.  In fact, due to the fact that it is a flap valve, the size of the defect can be overestimated.  Therefore, two things need to be kept in mind.  One, the better measure to determine if the size of the defects is significant is to see if the right ventricle is enlarged.  The second issue is to realize that these defects will likely stay the same size or get smaller.  This can be clinically observed over time.?