Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
ASD Repair 29 yrs ago and now a heart murmur

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

At age 4 I had an ASD primum repair. I am now 33. I have never had any issues until recently when I went to my GP for a routine check and he said that he thought I had a heart murmur.

My GP did not suggest any further tests. Is this something that I should pursue ? Is it normal to have a heart murmur later in life after an ASD repair ? I had an ECG a year ago and that was normal. I have no other symptons and in good health.

The reason I ask is that my husband and I would like to start a family. Should I pursue my GP re further tests?

Many Thanks

Claire
Dear Claire,

There are many reasons for heart murmurs at any age.  However, due to the fact that you had a primum atrial defect repaired, you are more at risk to have a murmur that is likely to be pathologic.  Since you are an adult with congenital heart disease, I would recommend that you be evaluated by an adult congenital heart disease (ACHD) specialist.  Even if your murmur is benign, the ACHD specialist can bring you up to date on the present data regarding long term outcomes in patients with ASD repairs, including risks for arrhythmias and other issues.