Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
Abnormal EKG
About This Forum:

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Abnormal EKG

My 12 year old daughter has had episodes of dizziness since October, Dr. felt that her sodium may be a little low and to increase salty food and sport drink intake, she had orthostatic BP's in October. Last spring she started to have some shortness of breath and coughing spells in gym and was started on inhaler for possible exercise induced asthma. Then last Thursday I wasthe ekg showed possible right venticular hypertrophy and  called by school nurse for chest pain, shortness of breath, and dizziness.  I took her to the doctor and she was treated for an ear infection which the Dr felt could be responsible for the dizziness.  The chest pain has continued non stop and is not relieved with antiinflammatories, heat, or antacids, and has even brought my daughter to tears.  A chest xray and ekg were done Wednesday.  The chest xray was normal and the ekg showed possible right ventricular hypertrophy and borderline prolonged QT segment.  The ped does not seem concerned and says she can continue with all her normal activities, including volleyball until she sees cardiologist in one month.  I am concerned for my daughter, should I push for her to be seen by cardiologist sooner?