Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
Abnormal EKG

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

Abnormal EKG

My son is 14 years old and has never had any medical problems.  At basketball practice, before it started, he felt like his heart stopped and started very fast and felt tired and light headed.  He went on to practice with no problems and did not tell anyone until the next day.   I took my son for an EKG that came back abnormal.   His pediatritian said he cannot play basketball until he see a cardiologist and clears him.  I cannot get him into a see a specialist for two weeks and am going crazy.  This is what the EKG says:  Sinus rythem possible LVH large R in II aVF deep S in V2 inferior ST elevation Borderline ECG.   Can anyone tell me what this means??  
Dear Kris,

Without seeing your son or this ECG, I cannot say for sure what is happening.  I can say that the computer's intepretation of ECGs can be much worse than reality, and can overcall things.  The "possible LVH" means that there is a suggestion of thickening of the left ventricle.  However, it also gives the criteria from which it made the call.  These specific criteria are fairly weak, and may not actually be associated with real left ventricular hypertrophy (thickening).  I would recommend at this point to ensure that your son has adequate fluid and salt intake, which is a very common problem amongst teens.  He should drink 32-48 ounces of fluid (water/milk) daily plus have a salty snack.  He should not skip meals, and he should eliminate caffeine.  It is difficult to tell what is happening from the history, and there is the potential that he actually has an arrhythmia.  Your cardiologist will do further assessment of his history to try to determine if he does have an abnormal heart rhythm.