Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
About heart disiease

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

About heart disiease
After checking up by of eacho my son age 0f 4.3 got 2mm size holl inside heart, so what is the name of this disease? what will be the treatment to recovery this soon?
Dear Phulinkanta,

Your question gives me very little information about what could be going on with your son’s heart to be able to try to help you.  I will say that a 2 mm hole in the heart can be either in the atrial septum, the wall between the two upper heart chambers, or the ventricular septum, the wall between the two lower heart chambers.  In either case, it is likely to be too small to cause a problem in your son’s heart, and thus probably will not need to be fixed with surgery.  One case where a hole like that could be a problem, though, is if it is in the ventricular septum just below the aortic valve.  A defect like this can create suction and distort the aortic valve above it, causing the valve to leak.  I recommend that you discuss your questions with your local pediatric cardiologist to be able to get more definitive information about your son’s specific heart defect.