Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
Acceptable activities for a 4 year old with HLHS
About This Forum:

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Acceptable activities for a 4 year old with HLHS

Hello..  Our 4 year old daughter has HLHS.  Her last surgery was the Fontan which was done in July 09'.  She also has a pacemaker which was placed in Dec 06' due to difficulties with ectopic atrial tachycardia following her bidirectional Glen surgery.  She has been doing very well and is currently only taking Captopril 3x daily.
  I have never really received a straight answer regarding what type of activities are considered to be "safe" for her to participate in?  Sports, amusement park rides (rollercoasters), etc?  We try not to prohibit her from doing things that she enjoys, but my main concern is keeping her safe and not letting her participate in any activities that put her at risk.  Any feedback you can give me on what we should be limiting/not limiting/avoiding alltogether would be greatly appreciated!

Thank You,
Julia