Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
Almost 3 yr old Blue lips

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

Almost 3 yr old Blue lips

I took my daughter to a function today and while she was running around and playing with the other kids (more active than even her normal active self), my sister noted her skin felt cold around her mouth and her lips had a blue coloring. She brought my daughter to sit with me and try to calm her down. When they got to our table her skin was still cool and the lips had a purplish blue tinge to them that I originally thought was icing from cake but my sister said it wasn't. It concerns me especially since my sister's nephew (through marriage) had similar issues and his heart failed at the age of 5. My daughter is going on 3 (a month and a few days shy) and as an infant was diagnosed as having a mild heart murmur. Our pediatrician is closed until tomorrow and I am kinda worried. Is she gonna be ok to wait 24-48 hrs to see the doc? Do I need to get her to the ER? After a ride in the car to fill the car and then while playing at her grandparents & at home her color looks more normal and she doesn't feel cold & clammy
Dear Hope's Mama,

Without seeing her, I cannot say what needs to be done for her.  However, I can say that if she is doing well, this is not an emergency and does not require urgent evaluation.  Also, turning blue around the lips is not as concerning as if she were turning blue inside her mouth (gums/tongue).  By now, you have likely seen your primary care provider, so further evaluation will have been performed.