Another Congenital ventricular aneurysm question
Can a congenital ventricular aneurysm regress and go away...someone told us as the heart grows some kind of muscle and grow over the weak spot..pericardium..that would be wonderful..she had an MRI and heart was other wise normal...would she ever need a cath if all else is normal??  You have been such a great help!!
First I would say that a cardiac cath would only be indicated if there were concerns about the coronary arteries in this situation.  If your child has had a cardiac MRI (CMR), that should give good visualization of both the aneurysm and the coronary origins.  Additionally many centers can look for cardiac fibrosis by MRI.  Calculation of cardiac index is also a good piece of information to have from CMR.  The entire heart is covered by a sac called the pericardium, so this does not close a ventricular anuerysm.  Any changes in the aneurysm would be related to the original size of the aneurysm,  and "remodelling" of the myocardium (heart muscle) as the child grows. There is certainly a chance that the aneurysm can get smaller over time, but do not count on it going away completely just yet.
Thank you for your help.  I am just trying to be positive and hopefully he will never need surgery.  I have trying to find out information about long term prognosis.  He is doing wonderful....above average in weight and height..eats like crazy..normal sleep...the anueysm has never changed