Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
Another question about my chest pain and shortness of breath

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

Hello again. I would first like to start off by saying thank you for your answer to my question. It was very helpful and i absoutley agree that i need to lose weight and get into better shape. I recently went to my doctor and when i described to her about my "sharp" chest pains and shortness of breath were coming from the middle and left side of my chest she listnened to my heart and she came to a conclusion that it wasnt a heart problem, but that it was most likely coming from my "breastbone" area. I love my doctor and i totally trust her but do think that by just listening to my heart that she could accuratley be able to rule out that the problems weren't my heart? And are there any medications or specific treatment i can do to "lessen" the pain form my chest? And how long do you think these chest symptoms should occur before i get worried? Thank you again for taking the time to read this question.
Dear Danny,

It’s not just listening to your heart that makes the diagnosis of chest wall pain.  It is also the history that she obtained that is so important.  True cardiac chest pain is the worst pain ever, ranked 10 out of 10 on the pain scale.  It is a crushing sensation, like an elephant sitting on your chest.  It lasts 20 to 40 minutes, and radiates down toward the abdomen, up toward the neck, and/or out toward the left arm.  There is associated nausea and sweating, and these patients (which are mercifully rare in pediatrics) feel quite ill.  From what you are describing, I can’t be totally sure.  However, it is likely that sharp pain, which is a common complaint among adolescents, is chest wall pain.  I described in my response to your previous post part of the evaluation for reproducible chest wall pain.  Often, the sharp chest wall pain is not reproducible with pushing on the chest, but the history of it without any other concerning history is adequate to rule out a cardiac reason for the chest pain.