Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
Aortic Bruit
About This Forum:

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Aortic Bruit

My 4 year old niece saw her pediatrician today because she's been running fever and has had loose stools for 3 days.  While the Dr. was listening to her bowel sounds she noted what she thought was an aortic bruit and ordered a doppler study...which cannot be done until next week.  My sister is beside herself with concern and a one week wait feels like an eternity (though her Dr. was fine with the wait).  While we wait for a definitive answer are there any rather benign reasons why she may have heard a bruit?  To the best of my knowledge she has never heard this before and my niece has regular visits.  With the fever and loose stools could dehydration be a possible cause?  She's normally very active and I've never seen her show any cardiac symptoms.  Can you offer us some peace of mind?  Thank you!
773637_tn?1327450515
Dear Patti,

A bruit in the aortic or carotid artery area in a child that signifies true disease is extremely rare, although without evaluating her, I cannot say what the source of this is.  The most likely etiology is exactly as you suggested--she has relative dehydration that caused the blood flow to be more turbulent, and sound louder.  Innocent murmurs, or murmurs not associated with any actual structural defect, are common in children (2/3 of all kids), and are often louder with a cold or fever.  It may be that it disappears upon recovery from her intercurrent illness, so a doppler study may not even be required.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
773637_tn?1327450515
Jeffrey R Boris, M.D.Blank
The Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia
Philadelphia, PA
773655_tn?1340656399
Marie M Gleason, M.D.Blank
The Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia
Philadelphia, PA
Blank