Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
Arrhythmias in the evenings

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

Arrhythmias in the evenings

Hello, I'm a 17 year old male. I had my exams last week, during which I drank a lot of coffee, about 3 or 4 espressos a day (I only drink one usually). Since then, I've started to have some mild arrhythmias (heart skipping a beat once every couple of minutes, sometimes more often), but only in the evenings, from about eight o'clock. There are no other symptoms apart from a slight stabbing pain that doesn't last very long, and that I only had four times in the last couple of days.
There are no records of cardiac issues in my family, and I never had any. Should I just wait this out and hope it passes, or could it be more serious and I should see a cardiologist ?
Thanks in advance for your answers !
It sounds like your symptoms are likely related to excessive caffeine intake.  However, if these are new to you and have been persistent for a while, then a baseline ECG is probably indicated to make sure that you do not have any underlying electrical issues with your heart that would predispose you to arrhythmias of the heart.  It would be best to discuss this with your primary doctor and they can order the ECG (electrocardiogram).  In the meantime, stop drinking caffeine and see if things improve.  Keep well hydrated with other fluids such as water, milk and juice.