Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
Assymetric Atria of fetus

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

Assymetric Atria of fetus

I am in my second trimester of baby and had my Anomaly scan and was diagnosed that the right atria of the fetus is 1 mm bigger than the left atria.We don't have any family history of heart diseases.Will this be something serious?
Tags: fetus, atrium
A 1 mm difference between atrial sizes is quite insignificant.  If the remainder of the heart valves are normal and not leaking, and the pumping chambers (ventricles) are normal in size and function, this may just be a normal variant.  Your doctors may wish to rescan in the third trimester to follow up.