Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
BAV in 5yr old boy just diagnosed with ADD
About This Forum:

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

BAV in 5yr old boy just diagnosed with ADD

My son was just diagnosed with ADD.  So naturally as a over worried mother I started to study the condition. He was diagnosed with BAV at birth.  He has had no problems so far, just a clicking sound, and I take him every year to see his Ped Cardio doctor.  From what I have read some of the side effects for taking the stimulant medications are heart problems.  1-9/1,000,000 die annually in the US from what I've studied.  What are some good questions to ask his peds doc, and the Ped Cardio doctor?  If we medicate only during the week and not on the weekends, vacations, summer will that stress his heart?  It seems like the stimulant medication increase heart rate and pressure, and the non stimulant medication will lower heart rate/pressure. I cant see how either of these medications will do his heart any good.