Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
Blue lips in toddler

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

Blue lips in toddler

My daughter, 18 months old, has a moderate membranous vsd with tv tissue partially covering the hole. She has not been on meds and has only mild lve and lae. She has had no issues from the vsd thus far and they're just monitoring it for now.
I understand that this will not cause cyanotic issues. Yesterday she did not have a cyanotic episode, but right after eating lunch her lips turned blue- very noticeably blue. I checked her nail beds and inside of her mouth and everything looked fine and pink. Her lips turned back to pink after only a couple of minutes. This has never happened before, and I was just wondering if this is something that the dr needs to be notified about or if this normally can happen in toddlers. Her hands/arms still occassionally look mottled too, like what happens in an infant, but that also goes away fairly quickly.
From what our cardiologist said in the past, we understand the vsd should not be the issue at all- but obviously when anything "off" happens with her we think of that first. Oh and I don't think she was cold, she was dressed warmly and like I said, had just finished eating, nothing out of the ordinary.
Thank you!
If your child's tongue was pink and the inside of her mouth was pink, then she did not have a low oxygen level.  This was likely a transient change in blood flow to the lips that accounted for the color change.  It does not sound worrisome.  Certainly you can let your cardiologist know, but it sounds like a benign episode to me, unrelated to her VSD.