Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
Bluish color around 8yr mouth

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

Bluish color around 8yr mouth

Hi,  My daughter is 8yrs old and has been told she has a heart murmur, we've had, had it check about 2 years ago with an ekg, and they wanted a ultra sound but she flipped out and wouldn't get it done.  Anyway, I started to notice in the spring that after soccer around the outer part of her lips had a bluish tint to it..  I thought it was from getting out of the shower and being alittle cold but I noticed it again within the past few days, after cheerleading and she was running around the house, and I noticed it again..     I am concerned if it maybe related to her heart murmur or is it something more.  I have a well visit with her doctor tomarrow and plan to speak to him about it. But I was looking to see what it may be.
Dear Moms,

It sounds like she was evaluated by a pediatric cardiologist 2 years ago who was worried enough about your daughter’s heart murmur being abnormal to warrant an echocardiogram.  Typically, if it is an innocent, or normal, heart murmur, it can be diagnosed by history, examination, and ECG alone.  That said, some murmurs can be confusing and are not always clear whether or not they are innocent.  Thus, the murmur may be innocent or there may be something structurally wrong with her heart.  I can say that, if there is a congenital heart defect, it is not immediately life threatening.  

The blue appearance around her lips is not nearly as concerning as it would be if the inside of her mouth was blue, such as her gums or tongue.  However, I cannot say if this is a normal finding for her in the context of her heart murmur, or not.  We usually see this blue appearance around the lips in babies and toddlers as a normal finding, but there can be other circumstances that can cause this.  Your doctor visit will hopefully shed some more light on whether further cardiology evaluation is required.