Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
Care for Hyperadrenergic POTS

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

Care for Hyperadrenergic POTS

Dr. Boris,
Is a Hyperadrenergic POTS patient treated by a cardiologist or is there another specialist that treat this specific POTS.
Dear Dad,

POTS is not a disease process that belongs to any one provider.  Some cardiologists manage it; in other locations, these patients are cared for by general pediatricians; in still others, it could be a neurologist or gastroenterologist.  The type of POTS doesn't really matter, either.  It's more about how familiar the provider who cares for your son is familiar with POTS and the various therapies.
If one type of POTS is Hyperadrenergic, I'm wondering how many classifications of POTS are there?
My son (17) was diagnosed with POTS,  but he has a sign/symptom that I have not read about or heard you say in one of your YouTube videos. He gets a strange feeling in the back/top of his throat. For several years he associated it with "nausea" and therefore that's what he calls it, but he knows it's not nausea but some type of nerve pain/sensation (that's the best description we have to date). This feeling/sensation causes him to stop everything and we're not sure how to help him as he suffers for 30 min or longer. Any thoughts on what is the cause and what I can do to help him.
Dear Dad,

There have been two types of POTS reported: hyperadrenergic and partial dysautonomic.  I have not particularly found these to be helpful from a prognostic or therapeutic standpoint, as I just treat the symptoms.

With regard to your son's symptoms, I am not sure what that is you are describing, and without seeing him, I cannot tell best how to help him with it.
A related discussion, Need confirmatory diagnosis of Hyperadrenergic POTS was started.