Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
Chest pain - "sharp pains"
About This Forum:

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Chest pain - "sharp pains"

I am the mom of 3, 2 of which have heart defects.  My oldest daughter has TOF and my youngest son has TGA.  My TOF kiddo has had 3 heart surgeries - repair at 7 weeks, surgery for pulmonary stenosis at 3, and had an emergency surgery last September at 4 for a pulmonary aneurysm.  She frequently complains of sharp pains in her chest area.  She usually says a tummy ache and then we ask where and she points to her chest.  Sometimes she says her heart hurts.  She did wear a monitor for 30 days this summer after frequent complaints of feeling like her heart was "beeping" too fast.  The results were fine, sometimes beating fast sometimes slow. After all we've gone through I'm not sure when a tummy ache is just that or when to suspect something more.  Any suggestions?  Tonight I put her to bed in tears with "sharp pains".  I'm not sure if it's something to worry about or if it's just a 5 year old with a tummy ache.  My littlest is 13 months with TGA and had his surgery in August of last year.  We aren't sure if we have a genetic issue, but probably won't chance having another child for fear that he/she would have a CHD too.