Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
Chest pain after heart defect corrected?
About This Forum:

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Chest pain after heart defect corrected?

Hello.
My daughter is 4 years old. She had a sucessful correction of an atrioventricular septall defect  when she was six months old in October 2006.

Since then she has had great check ups and echos. She does have minimal leakage from her mitral valve.

This afternoon, she was sitting on her little couch, eating yogurt and watching TV. She walked in the other room with an indescribible look and she said that it felt like someone was ripping her chest apart.

I asked her where it hurt and it was right in the middle on top of the breastbone. She also said that her heart was beating fast and she was breathing rapidly....maybe because of the pain?

Can it be plueresy? (sp)  Or is it too far past her surgery to have complications from her heart?

I'm getting worried.

Thank you!!