Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
Chest pains

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

Chest pains

This about two different things not sure if related or not. Since I was little around the age of two is when I first remember my legs hurting. It's the most horrible pain that usually only happens at night. (here is where people think its restless leg syndrome) but I don't get the creepy crawly things or have the urge to move around, because it hurts to much to. Its not like a Charlie horse cause I've had those before. It's more like taking two screws sticking them inside my bones and twisting. I can live with it no problem I have for sixteen years, but what has brought me here today is chest pains. Since December till now 8 months I have been having chest pains I went to the doctor and the hooked up this machine to my chest and ankles can't remember what it's called but they said it was fine and just gave a months supply of naproxen. Now eight months later the pains come more often (nearly everyday) and more intense the worst pain happend last night it was like someone taking a ice pick sticking it though my ribs and poking my heart under my left breast towards the center of my ribs. I couldnt breath because the pain was so bad I thought I was having a heart attack. I'm only 18 I don't want to be sick or have something wrong with me. I'm so scared that illl have to live with this the rest of my life. Please someone help me. Also my heart seems to always be beating really fast and soft and my blood pressure is always low between 80/60 to 90/60 my heart rate is usually between 95 and 115 I am slightly overweight 160 I'm 5'3" I used to be very active (marching band)  but I've seem to become lazy over the past two years or so. I'm 18 years old I am a female my dad has an enlarged heart and high blood pressure and my mom has some sort of first degree electrical blockage I believe is how she put it between her brain and heart. I do have asthma but it's very well under control. I have mild allergies I don't drink or do drugs. I'm about to go on a trip and I'm really scared because I don't want to be in pain the whole time and I really want a doctor to take me serious because they never seem to take my mom seriously. Any more ideas would really be appericated.
Dear Summer,

Without evaluating you, I cannot tell you what the cause of your chest pain is.  I also cannot say if the leg pain is related, or not.  I can say that most pediatric and adolescent chest pain that is sharp and worse with inspiration is typically noncardiac chest wall pain.  We don't know what causes it, but it's mostly a nuisance and not associated with any disease process.  You are 18 now, so you are at age of majority.  This means that you can find your own doctor locally and have an evaluation for this.  If you feel that a primary care provider is not able to give you adequate answers, then you can find a cardiologist to evaluate you further.
Thank you