Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
Complications if TOF with absent pulmonary valve is not correct with su...
About This Forum:

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Complications if TOF with absent pulmonary valve is not correct with surgery

If  TOF with absent pulmonary valve is not correct with surgery, then what will be the possible complications? As my daughter is 2 and half years old, and her colour is pink, some time feel sweating on her forehead, growth is not up to the mark. she suffered from Pneumonia in 2009 after that i did vaccine of pneumonia (Prevenor).
Please suggest me what to do????????
Tags: Complications if TOF with abse
Related Discussions
773655_tn?1340656399
Patients with tetralogy of Fallot with absent pulmonary valve leaflets can have very variable courses, depending upon how "blue" they are, and if they have compression of their airway tubes by the enlarged lung arteries.  The majority of them require a surgical intervention within the first few months of life because of respiratory issues.  However, there are some, like your daughter, who do not get respiratory distress and are relatively pink. They usually undergo open heart surgery sometime in the first few years of life.  The future risks of leaving her unrepaired would be: 1) risk of blood clots going across the VSD (hole between the lower two heart chambers) that could go out to the body and cause a stroke, or if infected, an abscess in the brain, 2) late failure or dysfunction of the right sided pumping chamber due to long term high pressure, and 3) possible development of high pressure in the lungs if the patient is "pink" and actually has extra blood flow going to the lungs compared to normal.  If your daughter is not growing well and is sweating excessively, that indicates that her heart may be working too hard.  If possible, I would suggest that you contact your child's heart doctor soon and discuss the timing of a surgical intervention given these findings.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
773637_tn?1327450515
Jeffrey R Boris, M.D.Blank
The Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia
Philadelphia, PA
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker