Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
Concern about 3 year old girl
About This Forum:

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Concern about 3 year old girl

My daughter is 3.   When we took her to the beach, I noticed that her extremities were turning very noticeably purple when she was in and out of the water.  It was about 80 degrees or higher every day, so it wasn't cold.  Do you know what might cause this?   Are babies routinely screened for congenital defects as of 2010?    I am a 35 yr old  male with my own history of PVC's (but a normal echo)
773655_tn?1340656399
When youngsters get blueness of the extremities when exposed to temperature changes, that is called acrocyanosis and is generally benign, due to constriction of the small blood vessels in the extremities.  If her extremities and lips are normal color the rest of the time, it is likely nothing to worry about, especially if her activity through all of it was normal.  You can certainly mention it to your local doctor and they can measure her pulse oximetry level on her finger, just to make sure it is normal.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank