Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
Conduit replacement???

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

Conduit replacement???

Hi, I have a 6 yr old son who will be needing his conduit replacement in just a week. He was born with, Transpostition of the great srteries,  TGA, PS and VSD. He had the rastilli procdure when he was one, and this will be his first conduit replacement. How serious is this conduit replacemnet surgery??? what is the rocovery like?? I am very nervous, becasue after the rastilli,he had alot of comlpiactions.  How many children had this  surgery with out many complactions??? and  children with tga,ps and vsd who had the rastilli procdure, can they live a very normal life?? thank you soo much !!
Dear Damey,

It is difficult to tell about his specific risk of complications, since I do not have enough information about him.  It is common for patients with transposition of the great arteries/pulmonary stenosis/VSD who undergo a Rastelli procedure to require replacement of their conduits; they don't last forever, and when they're put in young, can undergo somewhat of an autoimmune response that causes the valve to become obstructed, leaky, or both.  The good news is that he may not have as many complications, only because he is bigger.  However, the biggest complication that we see is that there is a lot of scar tissue around the heart now that he has had surgery.  The conduit can stick to the inside of the chest wall, so it can be risky to cut into the breastbone without cutting the conduit.  Also, the scar tissue has to be removed to free up the conduit to be moved and replaced.  If all of this goes well, though, he should do relatively well.  Without seeing him, I cannot comment about lifespan or quality of life.  Overall, again, these kids do well, but it depends upon their cardiac function as well as the brain function, as some of these kids can have some abnormalities of executive function or attention.