Convinced something is wrong with my heart. ( 17yr. old female )
Hi, I'm Jenna. I'm a 17 yr. old female. Not overweight, no diabetes, I don't use any kind of drugs, etc.
However, for the past 6 months or so I've been having fairly bad chest pain and have been constantly brushed off by doctors and cardiologists.
It's a little hard to explain the pain, but it usually starts with a quick sharp pain in my jaw ( on the RIGHT side ) moves onward to underneath my right ribcage, back, and ends up back in my jaw with a dull achy feeling. The best way to describe it is almost like a spasm? It moves around ALOT. Typically these lasts no longer than 20 minutes and the first one is always pretty light ( almost like a warning ) second is a little stronger, and third one is AWFUL. They always come in 3's and I get one, maybe once a month. Very predictable, always on the right side, and never with exertion.
I had an EKG ran at the hospital with a chest xray, then I was referred to a good heart specialist who ran another one and all came back just fine. My cardiologist told me not to worry and that it wasn't my heart but I can't help it? It's really terrifying when they happen and I'm constantly thinking I'm going to like, drop dead of a heart attack.
Is it likely it's my heart? something else? I'm just frustrated and out of answers! ):
Dear Jenna,

Without getting more of a history and examination, I cannot say for sure what the cause of your chest pain is.  However, it is quite likely that your chest pain is due to a musculoskeletal cause.  We do see chest wall pain quite frequently in teenagers, but the history can vary, so it’s important to make sure that a good history is obtained.  Briefly, sharp pain in adolescents is common, is only a nuisance, and needs no medications.  It is often brief, worse with inspiration, and not severe.  The bottom line here, though, is that often knowing that this is not a heart attack is reassuring enough that the pain can be ignored till it disappears.